The Party Wall Act

This Act applies throughout England and Wales. It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

Anyone intending to carry out work of the kinds described in the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions.

If you can not get written agreement from your neighbours you will need to employ the services of a party wall surveyor. We will, of course, arrange this on your behalf.

Further advice is available from your Local Authority or you can read the Party Wall Explanatory Booklet on the Department for Communities and Local Government website.